Slezské Zemské Dráhy
AUSTRALIA RAILWAYS: CAIRNS KURANDA SCENIC RAILWAY - COUNTRY LINK CANBERRA HERITAGE RAILWAY - NORTH WILLIAMSTOWN RAILWAY MUSEUM PUFFING BILLY - QUEENSLAND RAILWAYS - SEYMOUR TO BENALLA RAILWAY
SKYRAIL - VICTORIAN GOLDFIELDS RAILWAY - ZIG ZAG RAILWAY - 707 GROUP - 3801
TASMANIA RAILWAYS: DON RIVER RAILWAY - DERWENT VALLEY RAILWAY - HOBART TRANSPORT MUSEUM - SHEFFIELD RAILWAY - WEST COAST WILDERNESS RAILWAY TASMANIA TRAVEL ARTICLES
NEW ZEALAND RAILWAYS: ARTHURS PASS - AUCKLAND MUSEUM OF TRANSPORT (MOTAT) FERRYMEAD MUSEUM OF TRANSPORT - GLENBROOK RAILWAY - KINGSTON FLYER
PERU RAILWAYS - PERURAIL - F.C.C.A. - CENTRAL RAILWAY - SOUTHERN RAILWAY
ECUADOR RAILWAYS - FERROCARRILL ECUATORIANA
IRISH RAIL - NORTHERN IRELAND RAILWAYS - TRALEE AND BLENNERVILLE STEAM RAILWAY
EUROPEAN RAILWAYS : HARZER-SCHMALSPUR-BAHNEN-RASENDER ROLAND - MOLLI GERMAN STEAM RAILWAYS -
CZECH RAILWAYS - MAJORCAN RAILWAYS
Slezské Zemské Dráhy
TU38.001 is a very rare Faur narrow gauge diesel built in Bucharest in 1977. The following are photos of the train propelled by the Faur.
THE OSOBLAHA NARROW GAUGE - 2010
June 26, 2010 and July 10, 2010. The Osoblaha Ceske Drahy branch is a fantastic place to spend a day when steam is oporating. On the menu on the left are selected days with almost always fantastic photos. The 2010 calendar has steam on both every Saturday until August 31, 2010. The following photos were taken on June 26, 2010 and July 10, 2010.
June 26, 2010 was the big "track day" on the narrow gauge from Tremesna to Osoblaha when U 57.001, the resident steam locomotive operated the 1045 service train from Tremesna, returning from Osoblaha at 14.45. It was a glorious day, the train had eight coaches packed with standing room only and the engine performed faultlessly. U57.001 was the last narrow gauge engine built and also the largest and is on a 15 year lease from Club 760 in Austria.
This railway is one of the few using contemporary state railway stock but hauled by steam on scheduled service narrow gauge trains and is well worth a visit. It would be interesting if only for the five daily diesel trains hauled by Class 705 locos with miniature stock but the steam really makes it. The staff are extremely friendly and there are great photo opportunities. The railway web site is www.ozoblazsko.com.
The whole steam operation is due to, in the main, one man, Jaromir Foltyn of Olpas Moravia in Krnov and without him it would not exist. He is generally there himself every steam day and will welcome anybody from abroad and make sure they are looked after. Thank you Jaromir for your wonderful contribution to steam preservation.
Bands played at both ends, a small steam railway was erected at Osoblaha and refreshments and childrens entertainment were all provided.It was a real day out for the family. It is estimated over a thousand people attended.
The following photographs were taken on the big day and for completion some have been added from July 10, 2010 to give a complete picture. For photos of last year and other photos of SZD click on the menu on the left.
FIRST THE MACHINE
THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE IT HAPPEN
THE TRIP ITSELF.
TREMESNA V SLEZSKU.
The village Tremesna is located in the south part of Zlatohorska vrchovina in Krkonossko-jesenicky system, 15 km south-east from Krnov. Tremesna was founded around the year 1245 by the knight Helmbert Thurn because of the order of the bishop from Olomouc. The village became dilapidated in the period of Czech-Hungarian wars in the second half of 15th century. Re-settlement started in the year 1535. Historical monument of the village is the parochial roman catholic church of St. Sebestian built of stone in the years 1730-1733. Remains of an unknown saint, which were brought here from Rome in a basket on his backs by hermit Severin, are located in this church. The main tourist attraction here is the narrow gauge railway Tremesna ve Slezsku - Osoblaha. It is one of three still functioning narrow gauge railways in the Czech Republic and the last one, which is conducted by Czech Railways. Tourist routes and cycle routes are also interesting for holidaymakers.
This village forms the entrance gate to the Osoblazsky promontory. It is composed of three seats - Liptan, Horni Povelice, Bucavka - with an area of 2026 ha. It has the different character of a village under mountains with the altitude from 300 to 500 metres, which Strazny vrch (hill) has. 475 people live here permanently, but in the season the number increases a lot because there are 72 buildings for individual recreation. There are two restaurants and there is a chance of accommodation and board in privacy.
The dominating feature is the Gothic church of Nanebevzeti Panny Marie (the Assumption of the Virgin Maria). First refences to this church come from year 1256 but the exact year of building is not known. Origin of the village is connected with year 1240 when mainly people of Czech nationality lived here. The object of interest here is an erratic block from Swedish granite which comes from the Ice age.
Clean air and peaceful atmosphere of a harmonic country is good mainly for cycle tourism and fishing. On the north-east slope of Strazny vrch there is a ski-lift - the only one in the whole area of Osoblazsko.
Divci Hrad is 7 km south-west from Osoblaha. This land was settled already in the younger stone period. The village developed as a settlement round a gothic castle with the original name Devcice, Device. The first written reference comes from year 1385. In the 15th century, during the Czech-Hungarian wars, the castle was damaged and in the 16th century it was rebuilt as a renaissance chateau and during the 17th century it was transformed to baroque style. The building is well preserved together with three cylindrical bastions and rest of ramparts, castle walls, gate, and a stone bridge over the building. It is not open to public these days. North-west of the chateau you can find CHVP Oblik, paleontological area of carboniferous limestone with deposits of crinoids, corals, cephalopods and branchiopod fossils.
A Historical monument is a statue of Saint Jan Nepomucky in a settlement round a castle in the slope by the turning from main road, and collection of two fountains.
Horni Povelice was for the first time mentioned in a complaint of local parishioners to the bishop of Olomouc, Marcus. Subject matter of the complaint was a local priest who converted to Protestantism and his worship was somewhat different. However, this priest was under the protection of fief lord Jan Sup from Fulstejn and the complaint faded. Not everyone who is coming with a new idea is lucky to be under the protection of a powerful lord. That was true in past and still is. In 1871 Horni Povelice fell to Jan Sedlnicky from Choltic, son of Vaclav Sedlnicky and Anna Samaravska from Rohan.
It looks here like time has stopped - the original built-up area from the beginning of the 20th century has not any of the influences of civilization of modern days. It's one of few villages where you won't find any new buildings, as everything is original and full of life.
This stop developed after the year 1928, with the arrival of the new diesel trains when the journey time was shortened. Amalin is mentioned since 1787 when this village developed by parceling out Roswaldsky yard. In the year 1867 it was attached to the village Rudoltice together with yard Hodice.
As Horni Povelice, this village is also dominated by country built-up area from the end of the 19th and beginning of 20th century. Some buildings have original elements of country facade from the thirties of the 20th century.
The village Slezske Rudoltice together with all its parts - Amalin, Koberno, Vino, Novy Les and Pelhrimovy - has 647 people. There are two restaurants and two groceries in the village. For sport activities you can use the tennis court, football pitch and many different tourist routes. The Chateau and statue on the square belong to cultural monuments. The narrow gauge railway goes through the village and also through nearby Amalin and Koberno.
In sultry days you will certainly enjoy refreshment in congenial surroundings of Chateau wine bar in Slezske Rudoltice.
One of the most picturesque railway stations on the railway, at first sight it looks alone and deserted in the a green area with Luzna creek. This village is mentioned already in the period of Jan Otakar II.,that is in the first half of 13th century, when it was given to Olomouc chapter as a source of incomes for colonization of local region. Near the train stop, towards Dolni Povelice, there used to be Koberensky mill and its remains are still visible by the well preserved mill race. Fulstejns' shield from year 1501 carried one of the mill stones.
This stop does not exist any more. Only the sensitively renovated mill can indicate that this stop once fulfilled its duties. It was established after installation of diesel trains in 1928 but as a stop with a name Ostra Hora (name of part of village Bohusov) and was abandoned in 1972.
It lies in the middle of Osoblazsko, in the valley of river Osoblaha, and it has 460 inhabitants. Village is composed of local parts Dolni Povelice, Karlov, Ostra Hora and Kasnice. As for the facilities of the village, you can find here nursery school, local council with information centre, restaurant with community centre, church and recreational area.
A lot of attention in the village is given towards tourism and its support. International cycle route Opavice is going through this village and other regional cycle routes are linked to it. Combination of hikes and cycle trips in beautiful nature, which we can see already when arriving by narrow gauge railway, creates perfect conditions for an actively spent holiday. In the building of the local council you can find information centre.
In Bohusov you can spend several days in a pleasant locality by cycling or by riding a horse. You can pursue fishing and hunting with restocked coursing.
The village offers in its own recreational area, 20 cottages of first category with toilets and bathrooms, electric heating and kitchen. There are two beds in each cottage with the possibility of an additional bed.
For sport activities there are tennis courts, skittles, football pitch and beach volleyball right in the area. Nearby there is also a building which can be used for social activities. Contact: +420 554 642 121
For Sport fishing - fishing in the local pond Pod Hradem - you can buy permission for 150 crowns at the local council or at the fish warden.
It is excellent hunting ground and offers hunting of petty and cloven-hoofed game (hare, pheasant, wild boar). Fishing permission costs 100,- Kc per day at "Suchy rybnik" near Divciho Hradu. Contact: +420 554 642 131
Try to taste local specialties in the pub U Lipy: Utopenec na Fulstejnsky zpusob (pickled sausage slices), pickled freshwater fish grown in our clean area of Osoblazsky vybezek (promontory).
From the others specialties you can also try real goatish cheese pickled in salty and spicy infusion with real, illegally produced 50% calvados (spirit made of apples) from local gardens.
This village, which is also the current terminus of the railway, is located in the northernmost part of district Bruntal, by the river Osoblaha. The locality is part of Silesian lowland. Osoblaha is cultural centre of this area. It was almost destroyed at the end of last world war. City is known since 1233 as a centre of large land of episcopacy from Olomouc. Osoblaha is now a border town. Since 1850 there was seat of soke and administrative division and it stayed the same until year 1949. Average temperature is 8.6 degrees Celsius; it is the highest of the region. The lowest altitude of the district is by the confluence of the rivers Osoblaha and Prudnik - 203 metres above sea.
Cultural and sport activities: cinema, library, video shop (you can rent a video here), swimming pool, sports facility with tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch and possibility of fishing (20.5ha ponds).
THE LOCAL TRAIN WHICH GIVES PEOPLE THEIR EVERYDAY TRANSPORT
END OF TEXT YYYY
june 26, 2010
HISTORY OF THE LINE
In the north of Moravia, in the region of Jesenicko, you can find the only narrow gauge railway conducted by Czech Railways. The railway connects Tremesna in Silesia (linkage to usual railway from Krnov to Jesenik) with Osoblaha which lies near the border with Poland. It's 20,218 km long, since 1991 and the maximum speed is 40km/h (originally 30km/h.) Service is by diesel train seven times daily year round and in July and August there is one additional return steam train on Saturdays and Sundays.
Construction of narrow gauge railway with the gauge of 260 mm started in the spring 1898. Urged by Fulstejn's peasant and mayor Anton Seidel, who was elected to regional assembly in 1894 and in 1897 to Austrian imperial council, they started to built railway from Tremesna to Osoblaha in the middle of 90's. Already authorized (by imperial council), the gauge of the railway was changed to the current 760 mm. Some deputies of Osoblaha city (until 1945 Osoblaha had a status of a city) preferred a railway connection with Rasselwitz (today: Raclawice Slazski in Poland; however, in those days Prussia was beet-growing base for Osoblaha's sugar refinery because the beet wasn't grown at Osoblazsko and connection with Raclawice would be a chance to get to upper Silesian railway system).
Although the "Bohnla" became target of gibes, the narrow gauge railway proved its ability and it became a blessing for this fertile and economically well developed region. The railway was passed for operation on 12th December 1898 and on 14th December the regular public transport started. At first there were three pairs of mixed trains. For easier reloading, trailers for transport of usual gauge cars were used since the beginning. On 20th December 1898, the railway became property of CSD.
Quite long ride periods were successfully shorten with the arrival of new diesel trains in 1928. The railway survived Second World War without any major damage.
Arrival of new diesel engines type T 47 in year 1958 brought substantial change in the operation of this railway and later also new carriages were built which meant farewell to steam operation (16th December 1960) and also scrapping or preserving the original car fleet.
The government seriously considered abolition of this railway three times in post war period - at the end of the 50's, in 70's and last in 1985; its last reconstruction postponed this abolition sine die. But operation was then limited just to passenger transport. In 1997 Goods transport was limited to coal transport and now is totally canceled. The last big interference to the life of this railway was reconstruction of the permanent way which happened between years 1985-1988 and during which the old top was replaced with new top with rails type S 49, which are normally more used on standard gauge railways.
The railway fromn Olomouc-Krnov with branches to Opava and Jindrichov was put into operation in 1872. A year later, the railway was extended to Polish Glubczyce. Thanks to this, the villages all around started to develop quicker. Osoblaha needed connection with the railway because of the need to transport agricultural products and the sugar refinery needed transport of raw materials. Sugar refinery wanted a connection with railway Prudnik-Glubczyce, as it was just 4-6 km away.
After several years of bargaining and squabbling because of the border, a connection from Mesto Albrechtice to Osoblaha was approved. In June 1897 there was the last change of plan and the last adjustment of the connection of the railway in Tremesna because of finance. In January 1898 the definite version was approved and they started building immediately. Construction didn't take long time. Already on 14th December regular traffic started. Interestingly, the railway was conducted by Austrian state railways.
An increasing number of passengers was the reason of constructing a new railway building in Tremesna in 1898, but it was again rebuilt already in year 1915. In 1901 a whole station was enlarged and rebuilt because of more trains and passengers. Traffic on the railway was provided by 3 steam engines, type U, 4 carriages, 3 covered and 4 open wagons. They used 4 trailers for transport of standard gauge wagons. Trains were mixed, i.e. passenger coaches together with wagons on the same train.
In 1907 the mayors of local villages asked for reconstructing the railway to standard gauge and an extension to Polish Rasselwitz without success (financial reasons). In 1928 new motor cars M 11.0 from factory Tatra Koprivnice were bought. This resulted into dividing the trains into passenger trains and mixed trains. The passenger trains started to dominate thanks to its shorter ride periods.
After the occupation the transport was considerably adjusted. German carriages were brought, together with German trailers, journey times stayed the same and because of lack of oil and coal, the number of trains was reduced.
Surprisingly during the frontal fights the railway wasn't damaged too much. On the other hand, villages including Osoblaha were destroyed (almost 70%). The situation with cars was also bad. Engine cars burnt, steam engines were damaged. Traffic resumed on 28th October 1945. The traffic was increasing as the transport had to deal with new settlers.
Unfortunately, on 23rd August 1945 the traffic was aborted because of repeating malfunctions of the locomotives. Reopening of the railway started with goods transport and the passenger transport began on 1st December 1946 after transfer of engine car M 11.0 from Jindrichuv Hradec. In the winter of 1946/1947 the railway was the only connection with the rest of the country because there was so much snow that the roads were totally blocked. The whole supply of the Osoblazsky vybezek was ensured by the railway.
In the period from 1st June to 15th September 1947 the traffic was stopped and huge repairs of locomotives and railway took place in order to get ready for autumn. In January 1948 four new engine cars M 21.0 were delivered and after their initial problems the old M 11 were put out of operation in 1950. The original steam engines were stll working but they had more and more problems. In 1958, four diesel locomotives TU 47.0 were finally delivered and they still work until today as class 705.9. They renumbered the trains on 1st January 1988. German trailers were replaced by new type in 1965. Army carriages were used until 1966 when five new passenger trains Balm/u were delivered.
As the time passed running of steam engines was getting more and more problematic. From 1948 to June 1957 locomotive U 58.001 ("Bufan") from Frydlant was used here. Although it was the most productive, it wasn't used very often because it damaged the track owing to its axle weight. In June 1955 locomotive U 47.003 ("Maletka") was delivered from Jindrichuv Hradec. Since 1958 they were slowly replaced by engine locomotives type TU 47.0. The last ride of train with steam locomotive in regular traffic happened on 16th December 1960. The last one was already mentioned, Maletka - U 47.003. Since then the steam engines operate only on Saturdays and Sundays in July and August and this operation is by a private company Olpas Moravio s.r.o. based in Krnov. The daily diesel operation is by Ceske Drahy.
V roce 1872 byla uvedena do provozu trať Olomouc - Krnov s odbočkami do Opavy a Jindřichova. O rok později byla trať protažena do polských Glubczyc. Díky tomu se obce v okolí železnice rychleji rozvíjely. Osoblaha pociťovala potřebu připojení k železnici z důvodu možnosti odvozu zemědělských produktů, hlavně cukrovar potřeboval možnost odvozu a návozu surovin. Cukrovar chtěl připojit železnici na trať Prudnik - Glubczyce, bylo by to jen 4 - 6 km. Po několika letech dohadování a tahanic, kvůli připojení přes hranici, byla nakonec schválena přípojka z Města Albrechtic do Osoblahy. V červnu 1897 byla provedena kontrola plánu připojení a provedena poslední úprava plánu připojením navrhované trati v Třemešné z finančních důvodů. V lednu 1898 byla schválena definitivní podoba trati a hned se započalo se stavbou. Stavba trvala velmi krátký čas. Již 14. prosince začal pravidelný provoz. Dráha byla provozována Rakouskými státními dráhami.
Z důvodu většího počtu cestujících byla v roce 1898 postavena nová staniční budova v Třemešné, ale už v roce 1915 byla znovu budova přestavěná. V roce 1900 byla postavena vodárna pro zdvojení lokomotiv a 1901 byla rozšířena a upravena celá stanice pro potřebu většího počtu vlaků a cestujících. Provoz na trati zajišťovaly 3 parní lokomotivy řady U, 4 osobní vozy, 3 kryté a 4 otevřené nákladní vozy. Pro přepravu nákladních vozů normálního rozchodu se používaly 4 podvalníky. Vlaky jezdily smíšené, to je osobní i nákladní vozy.
V roce 1907 požádali starostové obcí o rekonstrukci trati na normální rozchod a prodloužení do polského D. Rasselwitz. Bez úspěchu (finanční důvody). V roce 1928 byly zakoupeny nové motorové vozy M 11.0 z továrny Tatra Kopřivnice. Tím došlo k rozdělení vlaků na osobní a smíšené. Osobní vlaky kvůli kratší jízdní době začaly převládat nad smíšenou dopravou.
Po okupaci byla doprava značně upravená, byly dodány německé osobní vozy, dovezly se německé podvalníky, jízdní doba zůstala skoro nezměněná, kvůli nedostatku nafty a uhlí byla snížena četnost vlaků.
V období frontových bojů kupodivu trať nebyla moc poškozená. Naproti tomu osady včetně Osoblahy byly zničené ze 70%. Horší to bylo s vozidly. Motorové vozy úplně shořely, parní lokomotivy byly poškozeny. Opětovný provoz byl obnoven 28.10.1945. Provoz se stále rozšiřoval, doprava musela zvládnout stálý přísun nových osídlenců. Ale pro stálé poruchy lokomotiv musela být doprava 23.8.1945 přerušena. Obnovení provozu došlo nejdříve u nákladní dopravy, po převedení motorového vozu M 11.0 z Jindřichova Hradce byla 1.12.1946 opětovně zahájena i osobní doprava. V zimním období roku 1946/47 byla železnice jediným spojením s okolím, tuto zimu napadlo tolik sněhu, že silnice byly úplně neprůjezdné. Tak se veškeré zásobování Osoblažského výběžku přesunulo na železnici. V období od 1.6. do 15.9.1947 byla doprava plánovaně zastavená a byly provedeny velké opravy lokomotiv a trati, aby byla dráha připravená na podzimní kampaň. V lednu 1948 byly dodány čtyři nové motorové vozy M 21.0, po jejich počátečních závadách mohly být v r. 1950 vyřazeny staré M 11. Původní parní lokomotivy dosluhovaly, byly čím dál tím poruchovější. V roce 1958 byly konečně dodány motorové lokomotivy TU 47.0, které jezdí dodnes pod označením 705.9. K přečíslování došlo 1.1.1988. Německé podvalníky byly nahrazeny novým typem v r. 1965. Válečné osobní vozy jezdily do roku 1966,kdy bylo dodáno pět nových osobních vozů Balm/u.
HAVE A GREAT DAY ON THE RAILWAY
TIMETABLE FROM JUNE 1 TO AUGUST 29, 2010.
Every Saturday and Sunday from June 26 to August 29, 2010 departing Tremesna v Slezsku at 1045 and returning from Osoblaha at 1445.
Additional trips will operate June 1, 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 and 25 June. Also July 5 and 6.
Navstivte malebnou uzkorozchodnou zeleznici, ktera se vine mezi loukami, poli a lesy osoblazskeho vybezku, neboli Slezske Hane. Zvlastni vlaky jezdi kazdou sobotu a nedeli od 21.6. do 31.8. V sobotu je zvlastni vlak veden parni lokomotivou Resica U46.002 a v nedeli dieselovou lokomotivou Faur U38.001. V souprave je razen vuz urceny pro prepravu kol a take bufetovy vuz. Jizdni rad a cenik zvlastnich vlaku naleznete nize.
Slezske zemske drahy o.p.s. a Opavsky zeleznicni klub o.s. se tesi na Vasi navstevu a preji prijemne zazitky s nasi zeleznici.
|Timetable from Tremesna to Osoblahy|
|Tremesna ve Slezsku||-||10:45|
|Timetable from Osoblahy to Tremesna|
|Tremesna ve Slezsku||16:43||-|
|Fares to Osoblaha|
|Adult||80 kc||140 Kc|
|Child||40 Kc||70 Kc|
|Family||180 Kc||330 Kc|